Wedding and Events Manager
- Are you an all-rounded multitasker, passionate about people?
- Do you like the idea of making a meaningful contribution as part of a small, dynamic and flexible team?
- Do you want to create magical experiences for guests?
- Are you passionate about the environment, sustainability and wellbeing?
- Do you believe in personal development, reflecting and improving in all you do?
Boconnoc Estate is situated just outside Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Since the days of the Domesday Book, people have inhabited this beautiful tract of Cornwall—and the estate itself is alive with centuries of history.
Sitting at the heart of the estate is Boconnoc House and cottages, which after 12 years of dedicated refurbishment by the late Anthony Fortescue and his wife Elizabeth, now represent the height of Cornish luxury. With Georgian architecture, picture-perfect countryside, and a busy calendar filled with guests staying for week long holidays, weddings, retreats and a variety of events, that are returning after covid, Boconnoc captures all the enchantment and beauty of Cornwall.
Boconnoc is a tranquil but vibrant rural estate, with incredible potential. In addition to the estate’s accommodation, retreats and weddings business, the estate has extensive farming and woodland operations, a large number of let properties (both residential and agricultural), renovation projects, forestry schemes and is in the process of developing a strategy with environmental targets.
Trustees and land agents oversee the operations management of the business and the family are closely involved.
About this role
Based in the office on the beautiful Boconnoc Estate, we are looking for a Wedding and Events Manager to drive the events, retreats, weddings and stays businesses forward. The role is a permanent full-time contract, with a competitive salary of up to £27,000 per annum depending on experience.
This role is an exciting and unique opportunity to help shape the future of the estate with the family and the team. The applicant will need to be a people person, passionate about creating magical experiences, and with a genuine shared interest for Boconnoc’s vision. An ability to secure new opportunities, collaborate effectively, and see projects through from start to finish is essential.
The role will encompass the following areas:
- Showing around a broad range of clients for retreats, events and weddings
- Developing and dealing with budgets and event quotes
- Liaising with clients from initial enquiry to event breakdown
- On site during most events, mainly weekends March-November
- Ensuring high standard of housekeeping in house and cottages
- Managing small team of housekeeping, waitressing staff and staff rotas
- Involvement in social media platforms alongside our marketing manager
- Sourcing and securing new events and collaborations
Our Core Objectives
- To provide a place of sanctuary and celebration
- To create events that are transformative, educational or inspiring to those that visit
- To always do what is right for the environment and soil
- To keep tradition and history alive whilst embracing innovation
- To be of benefit to the wider community in the surrounding area
- To change lives through advancing spiritual, emotional and physical health
- To be a financially sustainable business
This role will require you to:
- oversee and run the weddings, retreats, stays and events side of the business;
- liaise effectively with clients, dealing with all enquiries and taking bookings;
- secure new and exciting event opportunities, making use of Boconnoc’s unique offerings and creating events which sit in line with the estate’s objectives;
- lead the implementation of all events, from planning to delivery;
- oversee events budgets and work strategically towards profitability;
- work closely with the housekeeper and gardener to ensure menus are making the most of Boconnoc’s home-grown produce;
- arrange and manage housekeeping, bar and waiting staff;
- be part of growing the community at Boconnoc and liaising with organisers, companies and charities to do this;
- work flexibly at times (after hours, weekends) to help deliver weddings, events and show-arounds;
- play a critical role in embedding its values in all you do, and ensuring these values are present within every new project and across all areas of the business;
- be happy to ‘do’ as well as to oversee events, retreats, stays and weddings bookings. Boconnoc is a small team and work can often be very hands on, especially with events;
- Initial key projects may include:
- Outdoor theatre
- Busy food festivals
- Developing the retreats and intimate weddings business in the house and cottages
- Planning future projects for the kitchen garden
- Developing open days
- A busy 2021/22 weddings calendar
- A highly creative events professional, with a proven track record in event management. You will possess strong project management skills and be highly organised with the ability to plan, focus and prioritise effectively.
- An optimistic and ambitious individual, with a passion for creating magical experiences. You thrive on being busy and are not easily overwhelmed by multiple projects happening at once.
- Ideally you will have experience creating partnerships with like-minded brands and organisations and will be able to seek out and deliver on new partnership opportunities. Determined to deliver excellence, you will be someone who aims high and can work collaboratively, building impactful working relationships with internal and external partners.
- An excellent communicator, both written and oral, you will be able to inspire others with your passion and enthusiasm.
- An outstanding, organised administrator.
- You are passionate about wellbeing and health, and are excited about sharing Boconnoc’s inspirational spaces with prospective guests.
- You thrive working at pace, are resilient dealing with ambiguity, turn challenge and obstacles into decisive and purposeful action.
- As a leader in the organisation, you will be willing to make brave decisions, and will work closely with the family on future plans, and management of staff.
- You will see and grasp opportunities to grow business revenue and increase profitability.
If you are intrigued and excited by what you have read so far, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please email email@example.com and with a cover letter addressing the questions below, and attach your CV.
1. Tell us about your experience and how it may be relevant to this role.
2. What are the three most important values you live by, and why?
3. How have you made adaptations to deal with all that Covid has changed in our lives?
4. What inspires you about this role and Boconnoc?
Closing date for applications – Friday 25th June 2021.
If you’re interested in the role, please don’t hang around though, as we may close early if we get the right person.