Head of Housekeeping
We are looking for an experienced Head of Housekeeping to assist with the smooth running of the five properties that are available for guests to rent for holiday stays, weddings, day time events and retreats. There are 25 bedrooms in total across the five properties. There is also a Stable Yard area used regularly by guests.
This role is available as a part time or full time position and will include managing the part time housekeepers, booking staff in for cleaning, training staff on SOPs and keeping up the high standards our guests expect.
We are a small, hands-on team who support each other to live our values; being open, honest and fair in our actions. We challenge the business, ourselves and each other and reflect on what went well, what we can change and where we can improve. We aim to keep things simple and make sure we have time for playfulness within our roles.
We are looking for like-minded people to join us on our journey.
Boconnoc is a privately owned rural estate, situated near Lostwithiel in East Cornwall. The main house was restored and brought back to life by Anthony and Elizabeth Fortescue and a small team of skilled craftsman between 2000 and 2012 and is now used for private and community events, weddings, retreats and holidays.
The team consists of a Head of People and Projects, Property Assistant, Marketing and Communications Manager, Wedding and Events Co-ordinator, Wedding Hosts, part time Housekeeping Staff, a Gardener and a Maintenance Team of two.
The role will encompass the following areas:
- Lead our housekeeping operations
- Train and manage the part time housekeeping team and agency staff
- Oversee staff management on cleaning days and allocate roles
- Daily review of bookings calendar to ensure correct staff booked
- Overall responsibility for high standards of cleaning
- Manage stock levels of cleaning supplies and linen
- Ensure properties are ready for arrival of guests
- Ensure properties are not using excessive energy when not in use e.g. turning heating down/off etc and windows are closed and doors locked.
- Recruitment of housekeeping staff
- Adhere to budgets
The role will require you to:
- Manage rotas for part time and agency staff; up to 16 staff on some changeovers
- Maintain cleaning equipment in safe and sanitary working condition
- Ability to manage own workload
- Ensure laundry rooms are kept clean and tidy and stock checked
- Liaise with contractors e.g. laundry company
- Ability to adapt and write SOPS and see them through to implementation
- Ensure stock checks are carried out for cleaning products, food for events and alcohol for the bar
- Monitor and report repairs/replacements
- Ensure guest experience is fulfilled with any reasonable request carried out quickly and to a high standard
- Shared responsibility for locking and alarming properties
- More hands on roles and cleaning around the estate during the low season
- Maintain excellent standards of hygiene including deep cleaning and compliance cleaning in regards to health and safety in all areas e.g legionella
- Comfortable to step in and clean if staff illness
** Please note this list is not exhaustive and additional tasks may be required
- A hard working, self-motivated, flexible person with a ‘can do’ attitude is vital for this role
- Minimum three years of previous experience in cleaning and housekeeping.
- People management skills are essential
- The ability to work unsupervised, ability to maintain a professional manner at all times and maintain a positive attitude towards staff, guests and visitors
- Key skills include being able to display integrity and honesty at all times as well as being able to follow and adhere to standard policies and procedures
- Excellent IT skills
- Confidentiality is vital for all our clients
- Salary: Full time position starting from £28,000 to £32,000 per annum dependent on experience / Pro rata salary for part time position
- Alternative flexible packages available
- Job type: Part time or full time, including certain weekends and bank holidays throughout the year
- Share of tips
- 29 days annual leave inclusive of Bank Holidays
Diversity and inclusion:
At Boconnoc, we value our people. We will listen, encourage and celebrate uniqueness. We strive to maintain diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to building an exclusive team of individuals from a variety of backgrounds and skillsets.
If you have questions, or needs that require accommodating, please let us know.
If you are interested in applying for this role please send your CV and cover letter to Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org.