Head of Housekeeping
- Are you looking for a new challenge?
- Do you love working with people?
- Do you take pride in your work and care about the detail in all you do?
- Do you have the flexibility in your life to work very varied hours each week?
- Do you want to learn new skills that will stand you in good stead for future jobs?
If you can answer yes to these questions please read on.
About this role
At Boconnoc we are looking for a temporary housekeeper until November or December 2021 to cover a member of the team on sick leave. We would like to train someone up in this role so if you do not have any experience but are interested in the position and quick to learn, we would encourage you to apply.
This is a good opportunity to learn more about staff management, to understand how events work, and to learn new skills which would be useful in future jobs. This role requires a hands-on individual with lots of energy, who takes great pride in their work and wants to be part of a dynamic and busy team.
The role is 37 hours or more per week and there may be potential for full time employment at Boconnoc after December 2021.
Salary: £10 / hour
The role will encompass the following areas:
- Responsible for the final checks on properties before guests arrive
- Directing the housekeeping team and cleaning with them – Boconnoc House, cottages, Stable Yard – inside and out, office, additional spaces
- Maintaining the immaculate standard our guests expect
- Cooking meals for guests – breakfasts, simple lunches and dinners for up to 20 (please note this is a desirable but not an essential skill)
- Looking after all the clients who stay, providing tea and coffee, showing them to their rooms etc
- Serving drinks
- Dealing with stock checks
- Dealing with recycling
- Setting up laundry systems
- Directing a small team of staff
*Please note this list is not exhaustive and additional roles may be required
Boconnoc Estate is situated just outside Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Since the days of the Domesday Book, people have inhabited this beautiful tract of Cornwall—and the estate itself is alive with centuries of history.
Sitting at the heart of the estate is Boconnoc House and cottages, which after 12 years of dedicated refurbishment by the late Anthony Fortescue and his wife Elizabeth, now represent the height of Cornish luxury. With Georgian architecture, picture-perfect countryside, and a busy calendar filled with guests staying for week long holidays, weddings, retreats and a variety of events, that are returning after covid, Boconnoc captures all the enchantment and beauty of Cornwall.
Boconnoc is a tranquil but vibrant rural estate, with incredible potential. In addition to the estate’s accommodation, retreats and weddings business, the estate has extensive farming and woodland operations, a large number of let properties (both residential and agricultural), renovation projects, forestry schemes and is in the process of developing a strategy with environmental targets.
Trustees and land agents oversee the operations management of the business and the family are closely involved.
Our Core Objectives
We have set these objectives to help guide us through the next years at Boconnoc. We aim to bring aspects of these points into all we do, whether it is housekeeping, a private hire stay or a large event.
- To provide a place of sanctuary and celebration
- To create events that are transformative, educational or inspiring to those that visit
- To always do what is right for the environment and soil
- To keep tradition and history alive whilst embracing innovation
- To be of benefit to the wider community in the surrounding area
- To change lives through advancing spiritual, emotional and physical health
- To be a financially sustainable business
This role will require you to:
- Be in the house as guests arrive, making teas and coffees, helping move tables, looking after them;
- Check the house is clean and tidy during a client’s stay, tidying bedrooms, maintaining spotless living areas, lighting fires, laying tables, polishing floors, organising flowers;
- Liaise effectively with clients, dealing with any questions they have about the house and cottages;
- Lock up the house at the end of the night or after changeovers;
- Be on call if clients need anything during their stay;
- Lead the implementation of new stock checking systems;
- Source and book extra cleaning staff if needed;
- Oversee the house budgets and discuss weekly with the team;
- Work closely with the gardener to ensure menus are making the most of Boconnoc’s home-grown produce;
- Work flexibly at times (after hours, weekends) to help on weddings, events, collecting deliveries, or meeting guests arriving late;
- Play a critical role in embedding our values in all you do, and ensuring these values are present within every new project and across all areas of the business;
- A calm and hard working individual who is keen to learn and develop quickly in a new role.
- A positive thinker, who thrives on being busy and is not easily overwhelmed by big changeover days.
- Interested in wellbeing and health, and excited about keeping Boconnoc’s spaces immaculate for guests.
- You thrive working at pace, and are resilient with plans changing when clients request them.
- You see solutions rather than problems.
- You think on your feet, love attention to detail and can support and direct a small housekeeping team.
- You are a people person, an empathetic and fair leader and have high expectations of your housekeeping team.
If you are intrigued and excited by what you have read so far, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter addressing the questions below, and attach your CV.
- Tell us about your experience and how it may be relevant to this role.
- What are the three most important values you live by, and why?
- How have you made adaptations to deal with all that Covid has changed in our lives?
- What inspires you about this role and Boconnoc?
Closing date for applications – Friday 20th August 2021.
If you are interested in the role, please don’t wait to apply as we may close early if we get the right person.