- Are you an ambitious and organised individual, adept at driving new projects forward and looking to apply your skillset to a busy, forward-thinking rural estate business?
- Do you like the idea of making a meaningful contribution as part of a small, dynamic and flexible team?
- Do you want to help others transform and learn?
- Are you excited to build a team and work towards a new vision?
- Are you passionate about the environment, sustainability and wellbeing?
Boconnoc Estate is situated just outside Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Since the days of the Domesday Book, people have inhabited this beautiful tract of Cornwall—and the estate itself is alive with centuries of history.
Sitting at the heart of the estate is Boconnoc House and cottages which, after 12 years of dedicated refurbishment by the late Anthony Fortescue and his wife Elizabeth, now represent the heights of Cornish luxury. With Georgian architecture, picture-perfect countryside, and buzzing fairs, festivals, and a full events calendar, Boconnoc captures all the enchantment and beauty of Cornwall.
Boconnoc is a busy, vibrant, forward-thinking rural estate. In addition to the estate’s accommodation, retreats, and weddings business, the estate has extensive farming and woodland operations, a large number of let properties (both residential and agricultural), renovation projects, forestry schemes and ambitious environmental targets.
Trustees and land agents oversee the operations management of the business and the family are closely involved.
About this role
Based in the office on the beautiful Boconnoc Estate, we are looking for a General Manager to drive the strategy plan forward, working across all areas of the business. The role is a permanent full-time contract, with a competitive salary from £55k per annum plus accommodation, based on experience.
This is a new role and a rare opportunity to help shape the future of the estate. The applicant will need to be a passionate and ambitious self-starter, with a genuine shared interest for Boconnoc’s vision. An ability to see projects through from start to finish and drive plans forward is essential.
To create an estate where we live in balance and alignment with nature and each other.
Our Core Objectives
- To provide a place of sanctuary and celebration
- Totransform, educate and inspire those who work or live on the estate, and those that visit
- To always do what is right for the environment and soil
- To keep tradition and history alive whilst embracing innovation
- To be of benefit to the wider community in the surrounding area
- To change lives through advancing spiritual, emotional and physical health (retreats, regenerative farming, nature, space, diet, calm)
- To be a financially sustainable business
This role will require you to:
- lead the team at Boconnoc to achieve the vision and values of the estate;
- play a critical role in ensuring Boconnoc’s position as a unique, forward thinking and authentic business, embedding its values in all you do, inspiring the team to do the same, and ensuring these values are present within every new project and across all areas of the business;
- challenge what is currently being done, whether forestry management, farming, the food we eat and how we can improve;
- lead the implementation of the estate strategy and report back to the family and trustees on business progress and improvements;
- oversee budgets and work strategically towards profitability;
- be happy to ‘do’ as well as to lead and strategize. Boconnoc is a small team and work can often be very hands on;
- work closely with the Estate Secretary and the Land Agents to ensure that all areas of the business are moving in the right strategic direction.The role will involve overseeing a range of projects, which could include:
- working with our land agents to conduct viability research on developing properties;
- working with our events team to develop an off-grid campsite;
- working with our land agents to oversee the baseline surveys of natural capital (in conjunction with our land agents);
- working with our events team to develop the retreats and intimate weddings business in the house and cottages;
- working with the land and events team to plan and implement future projects for the kitchen garden;
- developing open days;
- growing the Boconnoc community;
- identifying and implementing new methods of improving sustainability in all that we do.
- A highly motivated problem solver with a proven track record in operations management, to manage the day to day running of the commercial business and to oversee the estate management. You will possess strong project management skills and be highly organised with the ability to plan, focus and prioritise effectively.
- An entrepreneurial and innovative individual who is prepared to challenge the status quo.
- You will have experience of building and leading a small team and developing efficient and sustainable ways of doing things. A strong team player, you will support and inspire confidence in others, and be someone who respects and values others input. You will have a genuine interest in development of people.
- An excellent communicator, both written and oral, you will be able to inspire others with your passion and enthusiasm and will be able to create impactful presentations, and applications where necessary.
- You will have experience creating partnerships with like minded brands and organisations and will be able to seek out and deliver on new partnership opportunities. Determined to deliver excellence, you will be someone who aims high and can work collaboratively, building impactful working relationships with internal and external partners.
- You thrive working at pace, are resilient dealing with ambiguity, turn challenge and obstacles into decisive and purposeful action, and are not easily overwhelmed.
- You seize opportunities to benefit the wider business and are passionate about contributing to a purpose-led mission – everything you do is designed to inspire people to nurture healthier, happier lives for humans and the natural world. You will be passionate about environmental issues, including soil health and farming.
- As a leader in the organisation, you will be willing to make brave decisions, and will work closely with the family on future plans, and management of staff.
- You will see and grasp opportunities to grow business revenue and increase profitability.
If you’re intrigued and excited by what you’ve read so far, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please email email@example.com a cover letter addressing the questions below, and attach your CV.
Tell us about your experience and how it may be relevant to this role.
What are the three most important values you live by, and why?
How have you made adaptations to deal with all that Covid has changed in our lives?
What inspires you about this role and Boconnoc?
What do you think are the biggest sustainability challenges facing a rural estate at present?
Closing date for applications – Friday 30th April 2021.
If you’re interested in the role, please don’t hang around though, as we may close early if we get the right person.