- Are you a conscientious and organised individual, looking to apply your skillset to a busy, forward-thinking rural estate business?
- Do you like the idea of making a meaningful contribution as part of a small, dynamic and flexible team?
- Are you passionate about the environment, sustainability and wellbeing?
Boconnoc Estate is situated just outside Lostwithiel, Cornwall. Since the days of the Domesday Book, people have inhabited this beautiful tract of Cornwall—and the estate itself is alive with centuries of history.
Sitting at the heart of the estate is Boconnoc House and cottages which, after 12 years of dedicated refurbishment by the late Anthony Fortescue and his wife Elizabeth, now represent the heights of Cornish luxury. With Georgian architecture, picture-perfect countryside, and buzzing fairs, festivals, and busy events calendar, Boconnoc captures all the enchantment and beauty of Cornwall.
Boconnoc is a busy, vibrant, forward-thinking rural estate. In addition to the estate’s accommodation, retreats, and weddings business, the estate has extensive farming and woodland operations, a large number of let properties (both residential and agricultural), renovation projects, forestry schemes and ambitious environmental targets.
Trustees and land agents oversee the operations management of the business and the family are closely involved.
About this role
Based in the office on the beautiful Boconnoc Estate and reporting to the Estate Secretary, we are looking for a Team Administrator to help with the day to day running of the office and the estate. The role is a permanent full-time contract, with a competitive salary of £18,000 – £20,000 per annum depending on experience.
This is a unique opportunity to learn from an experienced team and to be involved with multiple areas of the business. The applicant will need to be organised, conscientious and eager to learn and develop. The applicant should also have genuine shared interest for Boconnoc’s vision and core objectives.
To create an estate where we live in balance and alignment with nature and each other.
Our Core Objectives
- To provide a place of sanctuary and celebration
- To create events that transform, educate or inspire those that visit
- To always do what is right for the environment and soil
- To keep tradition and history alive whilst embracing innovation
- To be of benefit to the wider community in the surrounding area
- To change lives through advancing spiritual, emotional and physical health (retreats, regenerative farming, nature, space, diet, calm)
- To be a financially sustainable business
Purpose of this role:
- to provide general administrative support to the Estate Secretary, Operations Manager and events team and to assist in the efficient running of the office;
- to contribute to the overall vision and ethos of the business ensuring the best standards possible are met across all projects.
Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- providing a warm welcome to visitors, staff and contractors. Dealing with telephone and face to face enquiries in an efficient and professional manner;
- responding to holiday enquiries and keeping the online bookings system up to date, as well as the office wall planner;
- posting and starting to manage our social media accounts;
- booking in relevant staff for events and holiday lets and managing changeovers;
- ensuring that all messages are dealt with in a timely and accurate fashion and, where relevant, relayed to colleagues promptly;
- dealing with incoming and outgoing post;
- providing information and support to other staff members as required;
- updating manual and computerised records, and management information systems;
- assisting the Estate Secretary and Land Agent with property and estate maintenance administration;
- placing orders, checking goods and monitoring paperwork;
- updating communications channels (such as the website, newsletters and in house brochures) with assistance from the marketing and events team;
- attending, participating and taking notes at meetings as required;
- general administrative duties such as photocopying, filing, emailing and completion of routine forms;
- being on call on a shift pattern in case guests have a problem with their cottage / accommodation.
- A highly organised and conscientious individual, with excellent attention to detail and a strong administrative skillset.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with solid experience of using Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience using online booking systems is desirable but not essential.
- Ability to write effective relevant posts, and update Boconnoc’s social media channels.
- Ability to work independently and with initiative, as well as being able to work constructively as part of a team, taking full responsibility for assigned tasks.
- A genuine interest in sustainability, and the business values and objectives.
- Ability to display resourcefulness, enthusiasm, patience, resilience and a sense of humour.
- Ability to deal with everyone in a positive and professional manner, which promotes a positive image in line with Boconnoc’s vision and ethos.
If you’re intrigued and excited by what you’ve read so far, we would love to hear from you. To apply please email email@example.com with answers to the questions below in a cover letter and attach your CV.
Tell us about your experience and how it may be relevant to this role.
What are the three most important values you live by, and why?
How have you made adaptions to deal with all that covid has changed in our lives?
What inspires you about this role and Boconnoc?
What do you think are the biggest challenges facing a rural estate at present?
Closing date for applications – Friday 28th May 2021